When you submit measures for the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) quality performance category, each measure is assessed against its benchmark to determine how many points the measure earns.
Benchmarks are specific to the collection type:
- Qualified Clinical Data Registry (QCDR) measures
- MIPS Clinical Quality Measures (CQMs)
- Electronic clinical quality measures (eCQMs)
- CMS Web Interface measures
- Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) for MIPS Survey
- Part B Claims measures
In order to measure performance that’s comparable across the spectrum of performance, benchmarks are established using historical data. Historical benchmarks are based on actual performance data.
The 2021 MIPS Quality Benchmarks (ZIP) lists and explains the 2021 benchmarks used to assess performance in the quality performance category of MIPS. This file is available on the QPP Resource Library.
March Updates to 2021 MIPS Quality Benchmarks Zip File
Recently, CMS made the following changes to the documents in the 2021 MIPS Quality Benchmarks (ZIP):
- Added the 2021 CAHPS for MIPS Historical Benchmarks for Scoring the CAHPS for MIPS Survey for Performance Year 2021 file
- Added the 2021 MIPS Quality Benchmarks Fact Sheet
- Added the 2021 Multiple Performance Rate Measures
- Updated and removed measures and historical benchmarks within the 2021 MIPS Historical Quality Benchmarks file and added a Scoring Examples worksheet
Additional details about the March updates are available in the 2021 Quality Benchmarks Zip File Version History document within the 2021 MIPS Quality Benchmarks (ZIP).
For more information, please see the QPP Resource Library. You can contact the Quality Payment Program at 1-866-288-8292 (TRS: 711), Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. ET or by e-mail at: QPP@cms.hhs.gov.