Today, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) published the CY 2022 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (PFS) Final Rule, which includes the final policies for the 2022 performance year of the Quality Payment Program (QPP). The rule affects traditional MIPS, MIPS Value Pathways (MVPs), the APM Performance Pathway (APP), Advanced APMs, and the Medicare Shared Savings Program (Shared Savings Program).
2022: QPP Final Rule Highlights
Key QPP policies in the 2022 performance year include:
- Revising the definition of a MIPS eligible clinician to include social workers and certified nurse mid-wives.
- Setting the MIPS performance threshold at 75 points and the exceptional performance threshold at 89 points.
- Weighting the cost and quality performance categories equally (as statutorily required) at 30%.
- Extending the CMS Web Interface as a collection type and submission type in traditional MIPS for registered groups, virtual groups, and APM Entities for the 2022 performance year only.
- Finalizing a longer transition for electronic clinical quality measures (eCQMs)/MIPS clinical quality measures (CQMs) measure reporting for Shared Savings Program Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) by extending the CMS Web Interface as an option for 3 years (through the 2024 performance year).
2023 and Beyond: QPP Final Rule Highlights – Additional Finalized Policies
The following updates were also included in the PFS Final Rule and affect future years of the QPP:
- Finalizing 7 MVPs that will be available, beginning with the 2023 performance year.
- Providing a description of the registration process and timeline for MVP and subgroup registration, beginning with the 2023 performance year.
QPP Final Rule Overview Webinar Details
CMS will host a webinar on November 10 to provide an overview of the final policies for the 2022 performance year of the QPP. During this webinar, CMS will answer questions from attendees, as time permits.
- Title: 2022 Quality Payment Program Final Rule Overview
- Date: Wednesday, November 10, 2021
- Time: 12:00-1:30 pm ET
- Registration Link: https://app.webinar.net/JV1KbW8n7ve
For More Information
To learn more about the CY2022 PFS Final Rule and all of the 2022 QPP finalized policies, please review the following resources:
- Press Release: Provides additional details regarding today’s announcement.
- QPP 2022 Final Rule Resources Zip File: Contains the following:
- Overview Fact Sheet: Offers an overview of the QPP Final Rule policies for the 2022 performance year.
- Policies Comparison Table: Compares the final 2022 performance year policies to the requirements for the 2021 performance year.
- MVP Policies Table: Provides an overview of the policies for implementation of MVPs beginning in the 2023 performance year.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs): Addresses the FAQs for the 2022 QPP Final Rule policies.
Contact the Quality Payment Program at 1-866-288-8292 (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.- 8 p.m. ET) or by e-mail at: QPP@cms.hhs.gov. To receive assistance more quickly, consider calling during non-peak hours—before 10 a.m. and after 2 p.m. ET.
Customers who are hearing impaired can dial 711 to be connected to a TRS Communications Assistant.