The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has issued its proposed policies for the 2022 performance year of the Quality Payment Program (QPP) via the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule (PFS) Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM).
2022 Policy Highlights
The following are some of the key QPP policies that have been proposed in the NPRM:
- MIPS Value Pathways (MVPs) begin in 2023 with 7 options for the first year
- The CMS Web Interface extends as a collection type and submission type for quality measure reporting into the 2022 and 2023 performance years for Shared Savings Program Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) (for other ACOs and registered groups and virtual groups the CMS Web Interface continues for the 2022 performance period only)
- Updates to cost measures and improvement activities inventory
- Revisions to Promoting Interoperability performance category reporting requirements
CMS is seeking comment on a variety of potential changes in the NPRM, including:
- Traditional MIPS sunsets after the end of the 2027 performance and data submission periods;
- The development of new cost measures by stakeholders;
- The appropriate number of procedures done or conditions treated at the facility types for which CMS is proposing to add affiliation; and
- The types of utilization data that could be added to Care Compare to inform patients’ healthcare decisions.
You must officially submit your comments in one of the following ways:
- Electronically, through regulations.gov
- Regular mail
- Express or overnight mail
- Hand or courier
CMS also encourages you to attend our webinar in which we will provide an overview of proposed policies for the 2022 performance period. Following the presentation, CMS will answer questions from attendees as time permits.
For More Information
Learn more about the 2022 PFS NPRM and the Quality Payment Program proposals by reviewing the following resources:
- Press release – Provides additional details about the proposed policies for QPP and other CMS initiatives
- 2022 QPP Proposed Rule Resources:
- Overview Fact Sheet – Offers an overview of QPP’s proposed policies for 2022
- Comparison Table – Compares 2022 NPRM proposals to the current policies in 2021
- MVPs Proposals Table – Provides an overview of the proposed policies in the 2022 NPRM related to MVPs
Contact the Quality Payment Program at 1-866-288-8292 by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org. To receive assistance more quickly, consider calling during non-peak hours—before 10 a.m. and after 2 p.m. Eastern Time (ET).
Customers who are hearing impaired can dial 711 to be connected to a TRS Communications Assistant.