The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) would like to remind clinicians of important upcoming Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) dates and deadlines:
- October 1 – 2021 virtual group election period opened. Solo practitioners and groups with 10 or fewer clinicians (including at least one MIPS eligible clinician) who want to participate in MIPS as a virtual group for the 2021 performance period must submit their election to CMS.
- October 3 – The last day to begin data collection for a continuous 90-day performance period for the Improvement Activities and Promoting Interoperability performance categories.
- Note: Most, but not all, improvement activities have a continuous 90-day performance period, but several improvement activities require completion of modules where there is a year-long or alternate performance period. The performance period is 90 days unless otherwise stated in the activity description.
- December 31 – 2020 Promoting Interoperability Hardship Exception and Extreme and Uncontrollable Circumstances Applications Clinicians, groups, and virtual groups who believe they are eligible for these exceptions may apply, and if approved, will qualify for a re-weighting of one or more MIPS performance categories. CMS will notify applicants via email whether their requests are approved or denied. If approved, the exception will also be added to the QPP Participation Status Tool but may not appear in the tool until the submission window is open in 2021.
- Note: CMS has proposed for the 2020 performance year to allow APM Entities to submit Extreme and Uncontrollable Circumstances applications as a result of COVID-19. For more information about the impact of COVID-19 on Quality Payment Program participation, see the Quality Payment Program COVID-19 Response webpage.
- December 31 – 2021 virtual group election period closes.
- January 4, 2021 – 2020 MIPS performance year data submission window opens.
- March 31, 2021 – 2020 MIPS performance year data submission window closes.
For More Information
To learn more, visit the QPP website and access the following resources:
- 2021 Virtual Group Toolkit
- Improvement Activities Webpage
- 2020 Improvement Activities Quick Start Guide
- 2020 Improvement Activities User Guide
- Promoting Interoperability Webpage
- 2020 Promoting Interoperability Quick Start Guide
- 2020 Promoting Interoperability User Guide
- About QPP Exceptions Webpage
- 2020 MIPS Exceptions Application Fact Sheet
Contact the Quality Payment Program at 1-866-288-8292 or by e-mail at: QPP@cms.hhs.gov
To receive assistance more quickly, please consider calling during non-peak hours—before 10 a.m. and after 2 p.m. Eastern Time.
Customers who are hearing impaired can dial 711 to be connected to a TRS Communications Assistant.