The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) would like to remind clinicians of important upcoming Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) dates and deadlines:
- February 1, 2021 – 2020 MIPS Extreme and Uncontrollable Circumstances Exception Application Deadline for COVID-19 Extended to February 1, 2021.
- March 31, 2021 – PY 2020 MIPS performance year data submission window closes.
- April 1-June 30, 2021 – Registration Begins for CMS Web Interface and Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) for MIPS Survey. Learn more about how to register.
- Spring/Summer 2021 – QPP Exception Applications Window Opens: If you seek a QPP Extreme and Uncontrollable Circumstances Exception (any or all performance categories) or a Hardship Exception to the Promoting Interoperability performance category, you will be able to apply for this between Spring 2021 and December 31, 2021.
- July 2021 –
- Performance Feedback Available: CMS will provide you with performance feedback based on the data you submitted for PY 2020. You will be able to use this feedback to improve your care and optimize the payments you receive from CMS.
- Targeted Review Opens Once Your Payment Adjustment Information is Available
- August/September 2021 – Targeted Review Closes 60 days after the release of your payment adjustment information.
- October 2021 – QP Determinations and MIPS APM Participation Information Available on the Quality Payment Program Participation Status Tool (June 30 APM Snapshot date).
- October 3, 2021 – Last Day to Start a 90-day Performance Period for Promoting Interoperability and Improvement Activities
- December 2021 – PY 2021 MIPS Eligibility Finalized: QP Determinations and MIPS APM Participation Information Available on the Quality Payment Program Participation Status Tool (August 31 APM Snapshot date).
- December 31, 2021 – PY 2021 Ends. QPP Exception Applications Window Closes.
For More Information
To learn more, visit the QPP website and access the following resources:
- QPP Timeline and Important Deadlines
- 2021 Virtual Group Toolkit
- Improvement Activities Webpage
- 2020 Improvement Activities Quick Start Guide
- 2020 Improvement Activities User Guide
- Promoting Interoperability Webpage
- 2020 Promoting Interoperability Quick Start Guide
- 2020 Promoting Interoperability User Guide
- About QPP Exceptions Webpage
- 2020 MIPS Exceptions Application Fact Sheet
Contact the Quality Payment Program at 1-866-288-8292 or by e-mail at: QPP@cms.hhs.gov
To receive assistance more quickly, please consider calling during non-peak hours—before 10 a.m. and after 2 p.m. Eastern Time.
Customers who are hearing impaired can dial 711 to be connected to a TRS Communications Assistant.