If you participated in the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) in 2017, your MIPS final score and performance feedback are available now on the Quality Payment Program website. The payment adjustment you will receive in 2019 is based on this final score. A positive, negative, or neutral payment adjustment will be applied to the Medicare paid amount for covered professional services furnished under the Medicare Physician Fee Schedule in 2019.
MIPS eligible clinicians or groups (along with their designated support staff or authorized third-party intermediary), including those who are subject to the APM scoring standard, may request for CMS to review their performance feedback and final score through a process called targeted review. The deadline to submit your request is October 1, 2018 at 8:00 PM (EDT) – which is just 40 days away.
When to Request a Targeted Review
If you believe an error has been made in your 2019 MIPS payment adjustment calculation, you can request a targeted review until October 1, 2018 at 8:00 PM (EDT). The following are examples of circumstances in which you may wish to request a targeted review:
- Errors or data quality issues on the measures and activities you submitted
- Eligibility issues (e.g., you fall below the low-volume threshold and should not have received a payment adjustment)
- Being erroneously excluded from the APM participation list and not being scored under APM scoring standard
- Not being automatically reweighted even though you qualify for automatic reweighting due to the 2017 extreme and uncontrollable circumstances policy
This is not a comprehensive list of circumstances. CMS encourages you to contact the Quality Payment Program if you believe a targeted review of your MIPS payment adjustment (or additional MIPS payment adjustment) is warranted. We’ll help you to determine if you need to submit a targeted review request.
How to Request a Targeted Review
You can access your MIPS final score and performance feedback and request a targeted review by:
- Going to the Quality Payment Program website
- Logging in using your Enterprise Identity Management (EIDM) credentials; these are the same EIDM credentials that allowed you to submit your MIPS data. Please refer to the EIDM User Guide for additional details.
When evaluating a targeted review request, we will generally require additional documentation to support the request. If your targeted review request is approved, CMS will update your final score and associated payment adjustment (if applicable), as soon as technically feasible. CMS will determine the amount of the upward payment adjustments after the conclusion of the targeted review submission period. Please note that targeted review decisions are final and not eligible for further review.
For More Information
To learn more about the steps for requesting a targeted review, please review the following:
- How to Request a Targeted Review Demo Video
- Targeted Review of 2019 MIPS Payment Adjustment User Guide
Targeted Review of the 2019 Merit-based Incentive Payment System Payment Adjustment Fact Sheet Questions?If you have questions about your MIPS performance feedback or final score, or whether you should submit a targeted review request